Sunday 11 March 2012

A Little Flat In Kőbánya, Budapest


The centre of the universe. A little room, a flat of sorts. A bathroom and a kitchen where I sometimes prepare a feast, mostly for my own dining pleasure, sometimes somebody else may be included. It isn't the prettiest area, some say it is the worst district in the city of Budapest. I suppose that depends on your criteria. Okay, the buildings are not as ornate and spectacular, in fact mostly they are downright ugly. It doesn't play home to any magnificent bars or museums or even parks. It is 'home' though, and in this and the surrounding experience it provides some form of magic, whatever its face looks like, in the days that pass by so rapidly. It also houses many of the unique, gifted and inspirational children in my school, my place of work. There is love everywhere. So I guess this district is awfully important and beautiful too.

Outside can wait. There are times when I genuinely believe it possible to change the world from here. Others it seems futile, a completely ridiculous idea. I have written so much in this small space, knowing that not far is a wonderful city centre, one that grabbed my heart, will not let go and where much beauty and magic have been unveiled to my senses. Closer to home many hobos weave in and out of the streets, crumbling, heading for their next can or bottle, heading for doom. Reaching toward the same door of death, only sooner. In the morning I see students and workers and all kinds of bodies and faces and life, moving in different directions toward the same fate. We are all reaching out for something. Some us know what, some of us do not. From my window the view is beautiful. Especially when I close my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment